TMW Recent News
Keep it Simple
a letter from the CEO
Friday, 26 November 2010 15:11
A Self-Test For Warehouse Operation
Back To The Basics: 10 Warehousing Rules That Convienence Store Distributors Need To Follow
1. Are You Utilizing Your Warehouse Space To The Maximum? (One Point For Each 1% Utilization- Note: Maximum Of 18 Points)
Ways To Measure Your Utilization:
- Length by width by height = Total cubic feet
- Calculate amount of space that can be utilized by cube
- Each slot type: Calculate slot cube by number of slots by 8-%
- Total slot cube divided by warehouse cubic feet equals =
2. Order Selecting Methods (Two Points For Each YES Answer- Note: Total Of 16 Points)
2-1 Are your orders broken into logical segments?
2-2 Is this item cube accurate?
2-3 Do you pick bulk by pallet
2-4 Do you use item cube to build pallets or fill tote boxes?
2-5 Is work available at the beginning of the shift?
2-6 Do you have work available through out the shift?
2-7 Do receiving shifts and picking shifts work different hours?
2-8 Do you have shift meetings at the beginningof a shift?
3. Receiving Methods (Two Points For Each YES Answer- Note: Total 12 Points)
3-1 Do your schedule inbound loads?
3-2 Are receiving work hours seperated from picking work hours?
3-3 Do you charge lumping fees for unloading outside trucks?
3-4 Are forklift operators assigned specific areas?
3-5 Is inbound product taken to the forklift operators area?
3-6 Can forklift operators make recommendations for slot changes?
4. Slotting Methods (Three Points For Each YES Answer- Note: Total 9 Points)
4-1 Is cube movement and slot size compatible?
4-2 Do you slot by product type, wight and crushability?
4-3 Is heavier products slotted before lightweight crushable products?
5. Controlling Hours (Four Points For Each YES Answer- Note: Total 16 Points)
5-1 Do you use a warehouse management system?
5-2 Do you know all things it can do?
5-3 Are you well trained in its use?
5-4 Can you plan daily work based on work to be accomplished today?
6. Warehouse Management Packages (Four Points For Each YES Answer- Note: Total 20 Points)
6-1 Do you use directed put a way
6-2 Do you use either scanning or voice pick to pick orders?
6-3 Do you scan items into reserve slots?
6-4 Does your sofy ware indicate when to refill a slot?
6-5 Can you use your software to plan and measure work performed?
7. Sales Forecasting (Three Points For Each YES Answer- Note: Total 9 Points)
7-1 Do you get a period/ monthly sales forecast?
7-2 Do you use the sales forcast to forecast your labor needs?
7-3 Do you convert sales forecast to weekly and/or daily work needs?
NOTE: This is a self test. If you want to discuss your results, or have questions about the individual questions, you may contact us at:
Thomas M. Williams and Associates, Inc.
Toll Free: 888.388.2416
Content copyright © 2010 TMW Associates
Design copyright © 2010 grayCeworks small business solutions